By ERWIN CHLANDA
WorkSafe have issued a “prohibition notice” after observing manual handling of chlorine gas cylinders at Alice Springs Aquatic Centre, because workers were at risk of “being crushed by the cylinders if they got away from them”.
Laurene Hull, the Executive Director of the authority, says the prohibition notice does not affect public access to the pool as management is now chlorinating the water by other means.
This is the latest controversy involving the town council owned centre and its management by the YMCA.
The Y’s Helen Sargent, who is in charge of the pool contract, declined to comment when asked by the Alice Springs News Online.
Recently a letter leaked to the News revealed that there are significant cost overruns for the management, and the Y is seeking a higher fee from the council.
Council’s works manager, Greg Buxton, says the Y is obliged under the contract to comply within safe operating procedures which, relate also to the handling of the chlorine cylinders, and to comply with Occupational Health and Safety requirements under the Act.
“This is a matter between the Y and WorkSafe,” says Mr Buxton.