From the above article: The government doesn’t have to ask …

Comment on Offices? Court house? Either way no say for public. by Hal Duell.

From the above article: The government doesn’t have to ask the public: “There is no right of appeal against a determination by the Minister in relation to the grant or variation of an Exceptional Development Permit.”
And yet scroll down to another article that tells us our Town Councillors plan to have a greater role in town planning. It speaks of a new committee to meet in an open forum “to provide the direction of Council with respect to development applications before the Development Consent Authority”.
So Council gets to exert itself in respect to easements to block frontages for the erection of carports and verandas, but it’s back in your box (or Council Chambers) when the adults in Darwin decide major items?
At the same time, why not build it there? Apparently we need another court house, and any overflow would utilise the public space at the intersection of Todd Mall and Todd St North. Who knows, their discomfort might get us a decent shade re-erected at that intersection.
Will visiting QC’s be offered accommodation in a refurbished Residency?

Recent Comments by Hal Duell

National Indigenous Gallery advisors: ‘Release full report’
And another thing: Isn’t Anzac Oval heritage listed? Is the high school also listed? Alex Nelson, we need your input here.

National Indigenous Gallery advisors: ‘Release full report’
While Chief Minister Gunner’s announcement that Anzac Oval and the old Anzac High School will be the site for the new art gallery, perhaps this is not yet quite in the bag.
According to a recent statement attributed to Mr Gunner, formal negotiation can now begin with various stakeholders, including the Alice Springs Town Council who own Anzac Oval!
Start lobbying now. If ASTC has not yet sold it, and I’m thinking they cannot sell a public asset without first agreeing to the sale in a public meeting, then there is still hope that this ridiculous decision can be overturned.

Pack of girls attacked me, says Chinese on working holiday
Posted March 23, 2018 at 7:17 am
Posted March 22, 2018 at 11:30 pm
I think that Maccas has a clear duty of care when it involves turning a young employee out onto what are acknowledged unsafe streets at 2am.
And this after discovering her bike had been stolen, presumably from Maccas earlier in the evening while she was working.
In saying this I am in no way trying to excuse or mitigate the actions of those who attacked her, but my advice would be to seek legal advice on Maccas responsibility toward its employees.

National Indigenous Gallery advisors: ‘Release full report’
I hope the NT government pays particular attention to the tips from David Walsh, the creator of MONA. After the Salamanca market, MONA is the most visited tourist destination in Tasmania.
Some people fly in from Melbourne, visit the museum and catch a return flight in the evening. Buses are available to and from the airport for this.
For a more leisurely visit, a high speed ferry to and from the Hobart waterfront adds enhanced value.
For my own part, I recently flew to Hobart for a three day visit, two of them spent in MONA. It was worth every minute and every cent spent.
And pay special attention to his advice to put the art first. This project must not be watered down to include other aims like revitalising the CBD. It will only become all it can be by being a stand-alone effort.
Obviously this project will cost, and cost lots. But if we try to do it on the cheap, cheap will be what we get.

Pack of girls attacked me, says Chinese on working holiday
And again, and again, and again.
“Naughty” children – my ass.
Slowly the veneer of civilisation slips away. We live in a third world town.

Be Sociable, Share!