Lhere Artepe director on aggravated assault charge

2561 Shane Lindner OKBy ERWIN CHLANDA

Shane Lindner (pictured), a director of the Alice Springs native title organisation Lhere Artepe, appeared on a charge of aggravated assault in the local court this morning.

On the way out of the building he assaulted the editor of the Alice Springs News Online, Erwin Chlanda.

Mr Lindner’s case was adjourned to August 16 for a directions hearing. He entered no plea.

No evidence was given. Russell Goldflam, as the duty solicitor, appeared for him.

The assault on Mr Chlanda took place when he photographed Mr Lindner leaving the courthouse (see video).

Mr Lindner pushed the camera into Mr Chlanda’s face. He was not injured.

A security guard witnessed the assault. He said there is a CCTV camera outside the court which would have captured the event.

If you can see this, then you might need a Flash Player upgrade or you need to install Flash Player if it’s missing. Get Flash Player from Adobe. This error may appear if the URL path to the embedded object is broken or you have connectivity issue to the embedded object. Powered BY XVE Various Embed.

UPDATE July 24, 2018, 10.35am

Shane Lindner, according to informed sources, is not only a director of Lhere Artepe, but its chairman. We tried to corroborate that by ringing the native title organisation’s office, on 08 8953 6555 at 10.20am today.

There was a recorded message by a male American voice saying: “Hello. No-one is available to take your call. Please call again.” There was no invitation to leave a message.

Recent calls from us to CEO Robert Campbell’s mobile phone were not returned.

Mr Lindner is listed as a Lhere Artepe director on the website of the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC). The site does not name a chairman, so far as we can make out.

We have previously referred to Mr Lindner as the chairman of Lhere Artepe.

1. Cameron Shiell
    Posted August 6, 2018 at 9:36 pm

While not condoning Mr Lindner’s behaviour in any way, shape or form – I am curious about the Mr Chlanda not identifying himself as a member of a media organisation.
    If I walked out in public to find an unidentified person filming me, I would also ask: “Hey, what are you doing?” and if I got no response I would also ask not to be filmed “Don’t do that”.
    Granted I would word things differently to Mr Lindner, but I am not sure that the meaning would be different.
    [ED – Mr Lindner was fully aware of who I am and that I was at the court as a reporter, to cover his case. I told him that in the court lobby immediately prior to the hearing. He had also met me earlier in my capacity as a journalist. I took the video after the hearing. Erwin Chlanda, Editor.]

2. Perrule
    Posted August 4, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Millions of dollars worth of land and no chance of controlling it with Shane Lindner in there.
    The Central Land Council had so much historic information about Central Australia. Where is it?
    The true Mparntwe people, mostly descendants of Sid Ross, should ask for the Alice Springs determination of Lhere Artepe Aboriginal Corporation (LAAC) to go back to the High Court.
    The LAAC board should consist of four Mparntwe and two plus two of the sideshow groups who should not have a full say, anyway.

3. Arunta Man
    Posted August 4, 2018 at 8:31 am

Lhere Artepe: There are no responsible members, all nepotism and only there for the little money given by Yepereye Shopping Centre.
    They cannot even have a meeting to terminate Shane as chair. No quorum.
    We are still waiting to meet from two years ago. Repeat back to 2005.

4. Perrule
    Posted August 3, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Sid Ross (passed away) is the main traditional owner and custodian of the land Shane Lindner is fighting for power over at LAAC beyond.
    It’s time CLC released some of their information about Sid Ross being the real main owner of Alice Springs.
    Shane Lindner has nothing to do, no reason to be at LAAC. He should go and find people to fight with elsewhere.

5. Smithy
    Posted August 2, 2018 at 7:25 pm

@ Erwin: Is this not the same Shane Lindner that a few months ago was featured in a story with other Arrernte men about the need for respect, safety and correct conduct of people who come to town from outlying communities?
    A contradiction of sorts he stands against violence and negative behaviours yet is now charged with assault.
    Shane. Olden day Arrernte men conducted themselves with dignity and respect towards their families and culture. You have a long way to go.
    And to talk for this country you need to be a Peltharre / Kngwarraye of the Mparntwe / Tyuretye estate of Alice Springs. Alice Springs is not Ntulye.

6. Act Responsibly
    Posted July 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm

This particular family group from Antulye have jumped up and down for control of Lhere Artepe since the beginning.
    Well, they have managed to get it now through their terrible forceful behavior and are failing the Arrente people.
    They will bring about the death of the corporation very soon.
    This behaviour by the chairman, when the town is dealing with sadness and frustration in all aspects, will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

7. Apple
    Posted July 27, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Members need to show him the door. Responsible managers don’t behave in this manner. He is a disgrace.

8. James T Smerk
    Posted July 27, 2018 at 1:26 pm

When “leaders” act like this we can expect the town to continue to slide into the gutter. Shame job.

9. Charlie
    Posted July 26, 2018 at 10:51 am

Lindner is the chair of Lhere Artepe. Great behaviour for a so called leader.

10. Mark Wilson
    Posted July 26, 2018 at 9:16 am

That we are having this conversation of said assault by a person emerging from the court on aggravated assault charges confirms that naivety aside, that too many people do have the attitude as described by Trevor.
    We witness this type of behaviour daily. It is not wholly confined to Indigenous either. Our society has encouraged a sense of entitlement and a tolerance of unsatisfactory behaviour.

11. Act responsible
    Posted July 22, 2018 at 7:39 am

@ Shane: Your comment is really unacceptable. You are virtually unknown in the Arrernte world.
    To be representing them like you do is a glitch and burden on all. What poor shabby unnecessary behavior. Pull ya head in!

12. Heather Wells
    Posted July 20, 2018 at 12:09 pm

@ Shane: Please explain why you constantly state this is your country. After all you came via a landmass that eventually broke (paraphrasing) and left you stranded.
    Please explain your exact proof of respect for country and culture and tradition.
    My property has been violated by your people on four occasions, the latest one leaving me without transport to attend my place of employment which helps your people as well as many others in this town.
    I am out of pocket to the value of $700 because of your people. I take care visiting your and your fellow people’s lands, but all that seems not to matter when it comes to you respecting others that are not Aboriginal or Koori or Indigenous, whatever you wish to be called.
    Please enlighten me as to what your employment entails and whether your work is equal or more important than my paying taxes to assist your peoples for 47 years.
    And editor please press charges, you are the 4th person that I know of who has decided not to press charges against Indigenous people who have assaulted them. Don’t let anymore get away with no punishment for their abhorrent actions. If my offender is caught no matter what I \will press charges.

13. Davo
    Posted July 20, 2018 at 10:57 am

@ Trevor Shiell: He was very naive to believe that, or you were very naive to believe him. Policy makers have proven they can do whatever they want to Aboriginal people.

14. Trevor Shiell
    Posted July 20, 2018 at 10:12 am

In a previous life as a teacher I vividly remember one young Indigenous boy who made life very difficult for everyone else in the class telling me directly to my face: “You cant do anything to me. I’m Aboriginal.” Therein lies the problem.

15. Psuedo Guru
    Posted July 19, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Bad behaviour, bad image, bad press. Would be charged in any real precinct.

16. Mabel
    Posted July 19, 2018 at 4:42 pm

@ Shane: So does that mean the Mayor and Chief Minister can’t make decisions for Alice Springs? Please enlighten!

17. Scotty
    Posted July 19, 2018 at 9:16 am

Davo: The only way you will get solutions for this town is to not be scared to say how it really is. Sorry that you seem to be a do-gooder who seems offended by the truth.
    If Mr Lindner is not an Aboriginal I will say sorry but truth is he is.
    There is a reason race is important to solutions in this town. Almost all offending is committed by Aboriginals. I believe this is very important. You it seems do not. Put your head in the sand again.

18. Davo
    Posted July 19, 2018 at 6:35 am

@ Scotty: Surely you didn’t just write: “I’m not racist, but…”
    Because that is usually followed by something racist.
    A bloke went to court charged with assault and on the way out he had a go at the media reporting it, end of story.
    But you’ve decided to make it about a whole race of people.
    We need solutions in this town, but you, unfortunately, are part of the problem.

19. Mabel
    Posted July 18, 2018 at 9:15 pm

[Lindner] finds it impossible to contribute [to the debate about] the art centre location or the destruction of the town due to ongoing violence and youth crimes, but he can find time to become a part of the problem that Alice is dealing with. Step down ASAP!

20. Ray
    Posted July 18, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Shame no charges are being laid Erwin. I thought we were trying to say that it is NOT OK to assault a worker performing their duty.
    If it’s OK to physically lash out at a journo, is it OK to push an ambo, or a nurse?
    Either way it is assault, nobody should be subjected to it. Your call to press charges, but just because somebody is upset with you I fail to see how it is condoned that they can physically assault you.
    [ED – It is not condoned. Our report describes Mr Lindner’s action as assault. Erwin Chlanda.]

21. James T Smerk
    Posted July 18, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Erwin, at a minimum you should seek a written apology.

22. Shane
    Posted July 18, 2018 at 5:31 pm

So who are u people to judge me ?? GO home back to ur country!!this is arrente land !! Got no shame.. like this reporter waiting outside protected by his queen !!scotty n Greg wen did u 2 go through our man law to talk for this place ??

[ED – This comment is published as supplied by Mr Lindner. There was no-one “protecting” me when he assaulted me. I was on my own. And I will not be leaving the town which is my home. Erwin Chlanda, Editor.]

23. Scotty
    Posted July 18, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Just another Aboriginal offender (thought to be important by title) committing a crime in Alice Springs.
    I hope Erwin is pressing charges, no offender deserves to be given a free ride. Should be remanded as Greg Latency points out.
    Now if you think I’m a racist, I’m not. Look at the incarceration rate of Aboriginals in Alice Springs. Now there are those who stupidly suggest more Aboriginals are in prison because the system is racist. Well that is just dumb.
    If Aboriginals stop committing crimes they would not be in gaol.
    [ED – I am not pressing charges. Erwin Chlanda.]

24. Greg Latency
    Posted July 18, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Not very bright if he doesn’t know what you are doing.
    Not very bright to re-offend outside the courthouse where anyone with a smidgen of grey matter knows there is surveillance.
    Why is someone charged with aggravated assault allowed to walk the streets?