Braitling unit damaged in fire

p2256-house-fireBy DANIELLE DeBRENNI


A fire caused major damage to a unit in Ludgate Street at 5.30pm yesterday afternoon but police say no-one was hurt.


The fire did not spread to the main house on the block.


A man, a woman and a young boy are staying in unit, but escaped injury.


It is believed something was left too close to the heater and the room went up in flames.


Flames could be seen coming through the ceiling and all the windows were broken.



Be Sociable, Share!

A new way to support our journalism

We do not have a paywall. If you support our independent journalism you can make a financial contribution by clicking the red button below. This will help us cover expenses and sustain the news service we’ve been providing since 1994, in a locally owned and operated medium.

Erwin Chlanda, Editor

One Comment (starting with the most recent)

NB: If you want to reply to a previous comment, start your comment with this notation: @n where n is the number of the comment you want to reply to.
  1. Posted July 16, 2015 at 9:57 am

    During these chilly days it is so important to be fire aware to avoid heartbreaking events like this one.
    Before every winter have your chimneys and flues cleaned, and make sure all heaters are installed, maintained and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
    If you don’t have an open fire or professionally installed heating system and rely on portable heating be alert to children playing around the heater and always remember to keep the appliance away from curtains, bedding and clothes.

    View Comment

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *