Minister Dale Wakefield is being deliberately evasive and selective in …

Comment on Anzac High: No plans yet for what will replace it by Alex Nelson.

Minister Dale Wakefield is being deliberately evasive and selective in her responses to the media.
The fact is that the ICAC identified a significant discrepancy in regard to the condition of the former Anzac Hill High School, with the assessment report by the Heritage Branch late last year finding the old school was in good condition while a media release by DIPL Chief Executive, Andrew Kirkman, dated 15 March 2019, claiming the school is in poor repair and uneconomical for restoration and re-use could not be backed up by any documentation.
The Gunner Labor Government was elected into office with overwhelming public support on the major promise of providing open, honest and accountable government.
In relation to the former Anzac Hill High School and the National Aboriginal Art Gallery, we have witnessed an appalling display of the exact opposite characterised by constant evasion, silence, propaganda and outright dishonesty.
Everyone should note it is almost exactly two years ago that the NT Government announced the Anzac Precinct as one of its two preferred sites for the National Aboriginal Art Gallery.
This fateful decision – not least the fact that no adequate explanation has ever been forthcoming from the NT Government as to why it over-rode its own Steering Committee for its primary recommendation of the Alice Springs Desert Park for the NAAG – is now accelerating as a major public relations disaster for the Gunner Government.
There is every indication that this issue may end up being the primary cause of the downfall of this Labor Government.

Alex Nelson Also Commented

Anzac High: No plans yet for what will replace it
“Clearly, we think the Anzac Oval site is the best site for the national indigenous art gallery project,” says Minister Dale Wakefield, yet there is no answer to the question why.
More pertinently, is the real question who was it that persuaded the NT Government that the Anzac Oval site is best for the National Aboriginal Art Gallery?
Maybe a prominent person in local government?
Perhaps there are more twists to this tale than has been revealed to date, and not everything is as it seems as portrayed in the media.
The question is straight-forward and the answer is simple – yes or no?
Secrets are whispering.


Recent Comments by Alex Nelson

Deloitte to close Alice Springs office
Erwin, the top floor was actually built at the request of the ABC as the building was originally intended to be two storeys.
The NT Tourist Commission was one of the early occupants of the building, along with the Housing Commission, too.
Thanks to Cyclone Tracy, the headquarters of the Tourist Commission was relocated there from Darwin, and remained in Alice Springs at various locations until 1992.


Council resignations and surprising alliances
@ Scotty (Posted June 30, 2020 at 4:45 pm): “By the way, Willshire was not found guilty of anything” – while in turn Lindy Chamberlain was found guilty.
History shows the decisions of courts are not sacrosanct; and in both examples, the findings were (at a minimum) miscarriages of justice.


Deloitte to close Alice Springs office
Looks like we’re going to have to change the name of the building from its current “Deloitte House”.
Ah well, it wouldn’t be setting a precedent – for many years it was called Sturt House but in fact was originally named “Stuart House” when the building was opened in 1973.
The first name didn’t last long and, although I haven’t sighted any documentary evidence, I suspect it was changed when it was realised there was already a “Stuart House” in town.
This was the still brand new south wing of the Melanka government hostel adjoining Stuart Terrace.
Well, poor old Melanka has long gone and Deloitte is leaving so maybe the original name of Stuart House can be restored.
Who says history is forgotten when we have site name changes?
[ED – Alex, we should have a party with the ABC. They used to occupy the top floor. And the Tourist Commission (yes, that’s the mob that actually knew how to promote The Centre) was on floor one or two.]


Council resignations and surprising alliances
Those who support this decision have provided their full names, those opposed (as I write) seem to be a little bit shy.


10 years for people recruiting kids to commit crimes
Given that we’re now two months out from the next NT polls, this media release masquerading as government policy can only be seen for what it is – the Gunner Labor Government’s law and order policy platform for the de facto election campaign that is already underway.
It is ridiculous for the Gunner Government to hark back to the previous CLP regime; for example, “Returning family responsibility agreements and orders that were previously scrapped by the CLP government”.
That’s now four years ago! I can’t see any initiative announced in this media release that couldn’t have been started well within this period, instead of waiting for the last minute to dangle them like carrots in front of the voting public, whom obviously the Gunner Government considers us all to be a herd of donkeys.
Surely there are enough of us in the community to see through such a cynical ploy; after all, this government has had a full term to come to grips with these issues.


Be Sociable, Share!

A new way to support our journalism

We do not have a paywall. If you support our independent journalism you can make a financial contribution by clicking the red button below. This will help us cover expenses and sustain the news service we’ve been providing since 1994, in a locally owned and operated medium.

Erwin Chlanda, Editor