Has missing third offender in rape case been found?

A 19-year-old man has been charged by Southern Investigation Detectives in relation to the sexual assault of two women in Alice Springs in May 2012.

 

Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Malley says police allege the man, who was 17 at the time, and two co-offenders robbed and sexually assaulted the two women who were asleep inside their vehicle.

 

While the police media release does not specify, this arrest would appear to be of the alleged missing third offender in the gang rape at gunpoint of two European tourists to which two young men pleaded guilty in September last year. They were convicted and sentenced to 15 years (nine years non-parole) .

 

The Crown facts presented in court at the time detailed the actions of a third unidentified male. In relation to the investigation they said of him only that he had never been arrested or charged.

 

The 19-year-old man who has now been arrested has been charged with a number of offences including 21 counts of sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated unlawful entry, unlawful use of a motor vehicle, aggravated robbery and firearm offences.

 

The man is in custody and will appear in the Alice Springs Magistrates Court on July 24.

 

RELATED READING:

 

Terrifying ordeal at gunpoint

 

 

Young men get 15 years for gang rapes

 

 

Be Sociable, Share!

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*